Filing taxes.

We get you the maximum refund.

When can I file my taxes?

The due date for businesses to file Goods and Services Tax (GST) / Harmonized Services Tax (HST) returns for the prior quarterly reporting period is February 1, 2016 (and again at the end of April, July, and November). Personal income taxes for 2015 must be filed by May 2nd, 2016 but self-employed persons get until June 15, 2016 to file their personal income tax returns. When the due date falls on a Saturday, a Sunday, or a holiday recognized by the CRA, they consider your return to be filed on time if received or postmarked on the next business day. 2015 provincial and territorial General Income Tax and Benefit packages are available at post offices in early February, and you can use NETFILE starting February 15, 2016.

What do I need to file my taxes?

In most cases, you'll get all the slips and documents you'll need to file your taxes from your employer and financial services providers, usually by the end of February or March. You can obtain current and prior year old age security (OAS), employment insurance (EI) and Canada Pension Plan (CPP) tax slips electronically from the Service Canada website.

Documents you may need to file your taxes include:

  • T4, Statement of Remuneration Paid
  • T4A, Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
  • T4A(OAS), Statement of Old Age Security
  • T4A(P), Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits
  • T4E, Statement of Employment Insurance and Other Benefits
  • T4RSP, Statement of RRSP Income
  • T5007, Statement of Benefits
  • RC62, Universal Child Care Benefit statement
  • RC210, Working Income Tax Benefit Advance Payments Statement

You may want to cross-reference these documents with your own paystubs, financial statements, or receipts for tax deductions. If you're mailing in a paper return, you'll need to attach the stubs or statements to it. If you are filing electronically, keep all of these documents handy in case the CRA asks you for them.

How do I file my taxes?

Make sure you have the appropriate documents listed above and your social insurance number. You should also obtain an income tax package for the province in which you lived on December 31 of the previous year. The package includes a return (form), federal tax worksheet, schedules (more forms), a provincial or territory tax worksheet and an information guide. You can download these packages online or request print versions be mailed to you. The CRA encourages Canadians to file their income taxes online using NETFILE. This can be done easily using tax preparation software from H&R Block or you can submit your tax return by mail.

Contact H&R Block or use our Online Office Locator to help you find the office nearest you for assistance in preparing and filing your tax return.

Visit H&R Block's Tax Talk for articles and advice on filing your taxes in Canada, as well as other related business and finance topics.

With 50 years experience as Canada's leading tax specialist.