What is a T2209 Federal Foreign Tax Credit form?

The T2209 Federal Foreign Tax Credit form is used to calculate the amount of foreign tax you can deduct from your federal tax. You receive Federal Foreign Tax Credit if you had foreign income or paid business or non-business tax on income in another country. A provincial foreign tax credit is available if your federal foreign tax credit on non-business income is less than the tax you paid to a foreign country. It can be claimed on the T2036. If you paid foreign taxes to more than one country that were $200 or more, then you must calculate each country taxed separately then add the totals on the T2209 for a proper claim amount. All calculations must be made in Canadian Dollars.

Subscribe to our tax tips newsletter.

Get the latest tax news to your email.

By clicking the Subscribe button, you consent to receiving electronic messages from H&R Block Canada regarding product offerings, tax tips, and promotional materials. You can withdraw your consent at any time by emailing us at unsubscribe@hrblock.ca