How COVID-19 affects Canadians living abroad.

April 23, 2021

When the COVID-19 pandemic started, it impacted everyone, all over the world, including Canadians living abroad. Not only were they potentially unable to return home to Canada, but for many, it was and continues to be a time of great stress as they might have been cut off from regular Canadian financial support measures.

At H&R Block, we’re committed to helping you as this pandemic continues to impact everyone all over the world. Here’s what you’ll find in this article:

Tax Filing Deadlines

The deadline to file your 2020 return is April 30, 2021.

If you’re self-employed, your deadline to file is June 15, 2021. Keep in mind that if you owe taxes, your payment is still due on April 30, 2021.

If you and your spouse are preparing your returns together and only one of you is self-employed, you can still file both returns by June 15, 2021 as long as any balance owing is paid by April 30, 2021.

If you received Employment Insurance (EI) benefits or COVID-19 emergency benefits in 2020 and your taxable income was less than $75,000, you won’t have to pay the taxes you owe until April 30, 2022. This applies to employed and self-employed individuals. However, you still need to file your return by April 30, 2021 (or June 15, 2021 if you’re self-employed) to avoid late filing penalties.

COVID-19 relief measures

We understand how important it is for all Canadians, including those not currently within our borders, to know what financial measures are available to help them during this difficult time. Check out this blog to find out which COVID-19 relief measures are still available, and how emergency benefits (like CERB) might affect your taxes this year.

How H&R Block Can Help

This year has been complicated. If you have any questions about this year’s tax changes, or if you want to prepare and file your taxes for any tax year but aren’t sure where to start, H&R Block Tax Experts are here to help. You can contact us at any time, or check out this link to find out how H&R Block can help Canadians abroad.

Subscribe to our tax tips newsletter.

Get the latest tax news to your email.

By clicking the Subscribe button, you consent to receiving electronic messages from H&R Block Canada regarding product offerings, tax tips, and promotional materials. You can withdraw your consent at any time by emailing us at