H&R Block Tax AcademyTM.
Take our Income Tax Level 1 course through our tax school, H&R Block Tax AcademyTM, and learn how to prepare taxes like a pro.
Learn to earn at tax school.
You'll have the opportunity to apply to work with H&R Block♦ and build a flexible career. With thousands of classes offered in hundreds of convenient locations across Canada, chances are we're close to you.
Our Income Tax Level 1 Course has tons of benefits.
Gain a solid foundation that can lead to a fulfilling career in tax preparation with H&R Block. Learn tax theory, current tax laws and filing practices.
Learn from experienced H&R Block Tax Experts, and receive a certificate of completion and education tax credit receipt.
Over 1,800 classes are held at over 300 H&R Block offices, available at convenient times that work with your schedule. Total course time is only 78 hours.
In a guided classroom setting, the course includes tax theory and hands-on interactive learning with the latest tax preparation software. You’ll complete real-world tax preparation exercises and receive one-on-one instructor assistance.++
Already an experienced Tax Expert?
We have tools that will help further develop your career in advanced tax preparation and allow you to specialize in areas like corporate taxes, U.S. taxes and other tax preparation areas. You’ll also enjoy the convenience of working at one of more than 1,100 office locations.
Call us at: 1.877.32BLOCK (Quebec 1.844.30BLOCK).
Here’s everything you’ll learn in our tax course.
- Overview of the Canadian income tax system
- Income from employment
- Support payments
- RRSPs and other registered plans
- Union & professional dues
- Child care expenses
- Moving expenses
- Calculations of tax and credits
- Investment income and expenses
- Sale of Principal Residence Reporting
- Social benefits & other amounts
- Health care expenses & the Disability Tax Credit
- Taxation and family situations
- Filing for Students
- Eligible Educator School Supply Tax Credit
- Home accessibility expenses
- Senior citizens & pension income splitting
- GST, Canada Child Benefit & the Working Income tax benefit
Total time: 78 hours
Working at Block.
Join the leaders in the business.
Build Your Career.
Once you complete Income Tax Level 1, you could have the opportunity to interview for employment at an H&R Block office near you. If you're hired as a Tax Expert, you'll enjoy a career that offers a flexible schedule where you can build your client list and advance your career through our continuing education program. It's a dynamic career that works with your goals, and lifestyle.
Work and Grow with Us.
We have the tools that will help further develop your career in advanced tax preparation and allow you to specialize in areas like corporate taxes, U.S. taxes and other tax preparation areas. You'll also enjoy the convenience of working at one of more than 1,100 office locations.
Learn and Earn.
Continuing education helps our employees build on their existing tax expertise, specialize their skills, enhance their careers and potentially make more money. Upper-level courses are led by our best Tax Experts, who cover a variety of topics.
- Fort Saskatchewan
- Red Deer
- Sherwood Park
- St. Albert
- Campbell River
- Langley (Willoughby)
- Maple Ridge
- New Westminster
- North Vancouver
- Port Coquitlam
- Prince George
- Walnut Grove
- White Rock
- Saint John
- Mount Pearl
- St Johns
- Barrington Passage
- Mahone Bay
- New Minas
- Fort Erie
- Niagara Falls
- North Bay
- North York
- Port Colborne
- Port Hope
- Richmond Hill
- Sault Ste Marie
- St Thomas
- St. Catharines
- Thunder Bay
- Toronto North
- Wasaga Beach
- Montreal North
- St. Leonard
- Ville St-Laurent
Everyone. Most all people of all ages, from all walks of life take our course. With a wide range of flexible class times and locations, it's a great opportunity whether you're working full-time, retired, a stay-at-home parent, or a college student.
H&R Block Tax AcademyTM runs mid-September to mid-December. Specific dates for the Income Tax Level 1 course will be listed with the location of the class you have chosen to attend. Registration is open as of August 1, 2018.
Registration is accepted online right up until the class start time, pending class space availability.
- The Fundamentals of Income Tax Level 1 course is $299, plus applicable taxes.
- Full payment is due at the time of registration. You can pay online with a credit card, Visa/MasterCard debit, or with a prepaid credit card. Full refunds are available for withdrawals that are ten or more days in advance of the class start date.
- Tuition includes all books and materials. All you need to bring is a pencil and a willingness to learn. Calculators are recommended, but not required.
- You must be at least 18 years of age at the time of enrollment to enroll in Income Tax Level 1.
- No, a college diploma or university degree is not required to register for the course.
No credit for previous education or training is offered. Credits earned at our H&R Block Tax AcademyTM may not transfer to another educational institution.
Yes, you will receive a T2202A to claim the tuition on your personal tax return.
H&R Block Tax AcademyTM runs mid-September to mid-December at over 300 locations. Specific dates for the Income Tax Level 1 course will be listed with the location of the class you have chosen to attend. Registration is open as of August 1, 2018.
- We provide 42 hours of tax theory training in classroom followed by 6 hours of testing and 30 hours of hands-on software training.
- It begins with guided classroom discussion on tax theory, followed by computer-based learning with tax preparation software. There is directed discussion with custom-designed textbooks and exercises to reinforce the material.
- Course instructors are experienced H&R Block Tax Experts who are chosen based on their experience and specialized training they have completed.
- Yes, courses are taught in English and French in certain locations, and the instructor will be able to answer questions in the respective language of the course. Course materials will be provided in both English and French and course exams will be offered in both languages.
- The Income Tax Level 1 course covers basic tax preparation and gives you the foundation needed to prepare a tax return.
- The course consists of 78 hours of instruction which includes instructor led sessions, covering tax theory and tax preparation software and practice sessions. Additional time commitments outside of class homework will vary by student. Some examples of additional time spent outside the classroom may include: tutoring to understand more complex tax concepts, participating in study groups and completing generally assigned home work.The Income Tax Level 1 course starts with a foundation of tax theory where concepts build upon each other. Students are encouraged to actively participate in classroom discussions to understand concepts and ideas as early as possible. Issues with foundational topics should be addressed prior to moving on to other topics. Basic computer skills and reliable internet access are required.
Generally twice a week for 11 weeks in three-hour sessions, or once a week for six hours if you choose a weekend class. Click here for classes specific to your preferred location.
There are 1,800 classes held at over 300 H&R Block offices across the country. Click here for classes specific to your preferred location.
- If you miss a class, you can usually make it up at another time that week.
- If you attend, participate, do the homework, and listen to the instructor, you should have no problem succeeding.
- Yes. For every hour of class, expect an hour of work on your own.
- Around 20 students, but it never exceeds 30 students.
- Depending on when you cancel, you may lose your registration and course fees. Contact your instructor or local office to find out more.
- Certificates of Accomplishment are given to students with a minimum grade of 70%. You're graded on assignments and the final exam.
- Upon successful completion of the Income Tax Level 1 course, you'll be eligible to apply for employment at H&R Block. All of our Tax Experts and instructors started their careers with this course. However, successful completion of the course does not guarantee employment at H&R Block.
- If you're hired as a Tax Expert, you can expect the opportunity to set a flexible schedule, build up your clientele and advance your career through continuing education. H&R Block offers seasonal and year-round opportunities depending on your skills and location.
The first step in employment at H&R Block is successfully completing the Income Tax Level 1 course. During the course, you'll learn more about employment and career development opportunities at H&R Block. To register for the course, click here.
- Yes. College and university courses provide tax theory, but our course helps you apply it.
- Each fall our H&R Block Tax AcademyTM offers a number of advanced courses and our returning Tax Experts can advance their career and earning potential by taking these courses. These courses are not available to the public.
- With the Income Tax Level 1 Course, you can learn how to prepare taxes like a pro. Convenient locations and class times mean you'll learn from the best, with a schedule that works for you.
- Over the past 20 years, we've trained more than one million North Americans to prepare taxes. As a tax training leader, it's the quality of our courses and record for reliability and accuracy that ensures you get the best training possible.