Vice-President, Information Technology (VP-IT)
Vice-President, Information Technology (VP – IT)
About the Company
For over 55 years, H&R Block Canada has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. The Company serves taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through their upload from home service and online with their Do it Yourself (“DIY”) tax software. The dedicated team of Tax Experts use the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. The Company employs people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and our communities.
The Corporate office is located in Calgary, Alberta and is currently operating with a hybrid work arrangement, with in-office work Tuesday-Thursday, and Monday/Friday work from home.
H&R Block Canada is looking for an experienced and digitally savvy Vice-President, Information Technology (“VP-IT”) to lead our IT portfolio including innovative software design and development, working and leading an offshore team, IT support, cybersecurity, office and field infrastructure and delivery of organizational information systems leveraging DevOps processes.
This role will report directly to the H&R Block technology organization at our global head office in Kansas City with a dotted line reporting to the President of H&R Block Canada. The role will be a part of H&R Block Canada’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT).
The VP-IT is accountable for the future direction of H&R Block Canada’s IT environments including offshore activities, departmental staff as well as supporting the operational success of our business departments. H&R Block continues to make significant investments in improving our online and in-store customer experience. The VP-IT will work with all levels of the organization to ensure H&R Block’s technologies and IT team is engaged and ready to embrace upcoming changes.
1. Information Technology Leadership
- Develop, implement and monitor appropriate IT governance programs to ensure alignment of IT strategies and initiatives with H&R Block’s mandate, mission and goals.
- Develop and implement future looking strategies to enable effective and creative use of information technology and offshore activities aligned with our strategic business direction.
- Develop and implement best practices throughout the organization with governing control while ensuring objectives are achieved.
- Oversee risk management, resource allocation, project prioritization, research and recommendation of new systems and software products and services.
2. Strategic and Operational Planning
- Work with all levels of leadership in the development of multiyear strategic IT plans including organizational shifts as IT environments change.
- Lead the creation, allocation and oversight of IT annual, long-range budgets and strategic initiatives while remaining aligned to long range business strategies.
- Participate, as an executive team member, in Strategic Planning to actively define the organization’s multi-year goals and execution plans.
3. Policy Development and Management
- Lead the development, revision and implementation of policies specific to IT usage, security and practices of H&R Block Canada.
- Lead the development and implementation of clear processes, procedures and guidelines to ensure the consistent application of IT policies within H&R Block Canada.
4. People Management
- Ensure a positive, diverse and inclusive work and learning environment.
- Provide mentorship, coaching and developmental opportunities to enhance performance and to enable direct reports to achieve their accountabilities.
- Establish clear performance standards and goals for all members of the area and hold staff accountable for meeting those standards and goals.
- Ensure that the established performance goals for staff are aligned with the overall strategic goals of the division and the entire organization.
- Maintain a high level of staff performance through effective use of human resources practices and procedures including recruiting, selecting, training, developing, motivating and evaluating of employees.
- Oversee a team of 75 Associates in Canada and an offshore team of 60 Associates.
5. Relationship Management
- Work across all business departments participating and contributing to H&R Block’s operational effectiveness in a wide range of strategic, operational and professional decisions.
- Understand the business needs and ensure IT objectives are aligned to desired business outcomes.
- Build and maintain relationships across all CSC departments and H&R Block’s retail network.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external agencies, vendors, and other organizations to remain current with their directions and seek collaboration and partnership opportunities as appropriate.
6. Risk Assessment and Management
- Develop and implement strategies and programs to identify and minimize risk associated with IT systems and infrastructure.
- Contribute and respond to enterprise risk management processes and initiatives.
- 20+ years of experience in IT roles with a strong software development background.
- 10+ years at a Director or above level, including developing organizational change strategies, working with an offshore team and managing IT budgets.
- Significant IT and business expertise within broad financial services' industry including tax preparation or software, retail or commercial banking, wealth management, professional services including tax accounting or planning, and fintech.
- Track record of successful implementation of digital and eCommerce IT solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Have thorough knowledge of modern computer science principles, methodologies, and practices.
- Ideally possess experience in Agile, DevOps, Microsoft Azure, Project Management mindset, Business Relationship Management, ITIL, and IT Service Management.
- Effective interpersonal skills including oral and written communication skills.
- Eager to lead, demonstrate and champion H&R Block Behaviors.
Do you have a passion to make a real difference, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to email@example.com. Please indicate VP-IT in the subject line of your email.
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.