For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts use the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental, and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate it is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
Reporting to the Software Development Manager, the Technical Lead - DIY will be part of a collaborative, agile team responsible for the end-to-end design, development, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing applications and services.
Using the most recent and latest web technology, a successful lead is a hands-on and architecture-minded developer who will contribute to the code, provide technical direction, and drive technical design for new features. You will write and review code, set and maintain development processes and standards, and work closely with the Manager to mentor developers in their career development.
You will work directly with product managers, user experience (UX) designers, and subject matter experts to build world-class, amazing, delightful web applications, and powerful, flexible platforms.
You will drive software architecture design decisions and contribute to data design decisions across multiple development teams and business units. Your contributions in this role will pave the path forward and shape the future of H&R Block.
Key areas of Responsibility:
- Seek to understand the business vision and contribute to the strategic vision of our products; in turn, delighting stakeholders and customers with the delivery of rich, high-quality software while being attentive to security, performance, reliability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Collaborate with the Enterprise Architecture Office and other Technical Leads to plan and execute on architectural initiatives and deliverables.
- Own and coordinate development activities including standards and processes that will help the team meet goals and milestones.
- Work closely with the team, Product Management, and leadership team to ensure timely completion of deliverables and to provide insight on work effort estimates; be the go-to developer during business hours and within tax season to address questions and concerns.
- Collaborate with user-experience designers, technical writers, business domain experts, database administrators, support analysts and quality assurance to build new products and features which will help take our business to the next level.
- Apply your understanding of software development methodologies, processes, practices (OO, SOLID, TDD, etc.) and design patterns to provide technical direction and to establish, promote, review and refine coding standards within the team.
- Engage with third-party service providers with the team to leverage their services and help create optimal business value.
- Research and evaluate advances in digital technology in anticipation of evolving business needs.
- Support and mentor other development team members to continuously grow the team strength.
- Communicate to peers and leadership with efficiency and accuracy on progress and/or delays.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Post-Secondary education in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Programming, and/ or a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, and professional experience
- 7+ years of Java development experience
- Proficient in Java frameworks including Spring/Spring Boot & Hibernate.
- Practical experience building AngularJS and React SPA using REST-based APIs.
- Experience using NPM and some commonly used packages such as WebPack, Babel, Grunt, Bower, and Karma
- Strong knowledge of DevOps, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Deployment with tools like TeamCity, Docker, and Kubernetes as well as build tools such as Maven and Gradle
- Working knowledge of version control systems, preferably GIT
- Experiences working with cloud platforms, like Azure or AWS
- Hands on experience setting up and maintaining application performance monitoring tools
- Proficient with SQL concepts and syntax and ideally experience with PostgreSQL
- A strong understanding of Object-Oriented development principles and methodologies
- Experience working in an Agile team with a SCRUM focus
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate complex technical concepts into nontechnical language and the ability to convert business specifications into technical designs and models
- Experience working with offshore teams is essential
Do you have a passion for leadership and development, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.