Technical Lead, Digital
Calgary or Remote
Technical Lead, Digital
For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts uses the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental, and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
Reporting to the Tax Applications Manager, the Technical Lead will be part of a collaborative, agile team member responsible for the end-to-end design, development, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing applications.
Using the recent and latest web technology, you will lead our development team in a hands-on way, providing technical direction, driving technical design for new features, writing and reviewing code, as well as mentoring developers in their career development.
You will work directly with product managers, user experience (UX) designers, and subject matter experts to build world-class, amazing, delightful web applications, and powerful, flexible platforms.
You will drive software architecture design decisions in our Digital Solutions group and contribute to data design decisions across multiple development teams and business units. Your contributions in this role will pave the path forward and shape the future of H&R Block.
Key areas of Responsibility:
- Seek to understand the business vision and, in turn, delight stakeholders and customers with the delivery of rich, high-quality software being mindful of performance, reliability, and scalability;
- Apply your understanding of software development methodologies, processes, practices (OO, SOLID, TDD, etc.), and design patterns to provide technical direction and to establish, promote, review and refine coding standards within the team;
- Research and evaluate advances in digital technology in anticipation of evolving business needs;
- Collaborate with user-experience designers, technical writers, business domain experts, database administrators, and quality assurance to build new products and features which will help take our business to the next level;
- Support and mentor other development team members to continuously grow the team strength;
- Communicate to peers and leadership with efficiency and accuracy on progress and/or delays;
- Work closely with leadership and members of the team to ensure timely completion of deliverables and to provide insight on work effort estimates;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Postsecondary education in Computer Science and/or a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, and professional experience
- 10+ years progressive experience as a full-stack Java developer designing and building consumer-facing web applications and web services (API design principles, REST)
- Mastery of object-oriented development principles, patterns, methodologies, and architectures
- Proficient understanding of developing SPA (Single Page Application) using React JS, Redux Architecture (Redux), and a good understanding of Server-Side Rendering, Isomorphic Application development, server-side CSS pre-processing platforms (LESS and SASS) with modern UI frameworks.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate complex technical concepts into non-technical language and the ability to convert business specifications into technical designs and models
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and agile team environment
- Passionate about software development and take pride in your work; ensuring it is testable, reusable, scalable, resilient, and maintainable
Do you have a passion for leadership and development, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to email@example.com
We encourage all interested individuals to apply. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Proof of legal authorization to work in Canada will be required as part of the recruitment process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process