Location: Calgary, AB
Are you ready to make a difference?
At H&R Block, we believe in our people. The work they achieve individually, as a team, and as an organization empowers our clients to take hold of their financial future – driving our success as Canada’s lead Tax Preparation business.
Becoming an H&R Block associate means more than just a pay cheque; it’s an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the Tax Preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to help us look at peoples’ lives through tax and find ways to help. We know the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent, if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
We have proudly served clients in Canada for over 50 years, constantly evolving to meet our clients’ ever-changing needs. From our digital solutions to our offices, we constantly seek new ways to create frictionless and memorable client experiences.
Reporting to the VP, Legal & Privacy Officer for H&R Block Canada, the Paralegal will help support our business and minimize legal and reputational risk by providing expert support and organization to the legal department.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Administer internal and external systems for privacy inquiries, access and complaints;
• Review and prepare documents, memoranda, reports and draft other correspondence;
• Organize and maintain paper and electronic filing systems in accordance with recognized procedures and standards;
• Process and track legal work for the department;
• Review and proofread documents, correspondence and policies to ensure accuracy;
• Follow procedures established ensuring that compliance tasks are achieved in an ethical, impartial, just and professional manner;
• Assist departments regarding legal inquiries related to privacy, contracts and other legal matters;
• Prepare and disseminate information including, but not limited to, contract status, legal status of matters, compliance, and governance;
• Under direction of the VP, Legal develop and revise policies and procedures that comply with corporate directives, working closely with department teams;
• Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks including: managing an active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is confidential; arranging detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; assisting in the set up for quarterly staff meetings; assisting other department members in the set up and organization of corporate events; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings;
• Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures;
• Prioritize and execute workload in a receptive and professional manner;
• Meet commitments on time with accuracy and attention to detail;
• Ability to handle information and communications in a confidential manner;
• Proactively engage in projects and meetings to ensure that the Company’s integrity, compliance, and legal status are protected; and
• Perform other administrative duties as may be assigned.
• Successful completion of an accredited paralegal education program;
• 5-7 years of paralegal experience in a top tier firm and experience working in an in-house setting;
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office applications: Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Familiarity with Canadian privacy legislation;
• High attention to detail;
• Must be flexible and have the ability to multi-task along with being adaptable to shifting priorities;
• Ability to apply logical thinking to solve problems and accomplish tasks;
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions promptly and accurately;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals;
• Work well in a progressive, team-oriented environment;
• Have a positive attitude and be a disciplined self-motivator
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills to interact with colleagues and external parties;
• Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is critical;
Ranked as one of the Top 20 companies for work-life balance by Indeed.com, it’s more of a reason to build a career and life with H&R Block. Apply now by sending us your resume at email@example.com. Join us and be part of something bigger!
All current vacancies are posted on our website: https://www.hrblock.ca/our-company/careers/ ,please check for exciting opportunities.
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. H&R Block Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people from all backgrounds, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.