Corporate Counsel - Privacy & Compliance
Calgary or Remote*
Corporate Counsel - Privacy & Compliance
For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts uses the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental, and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
We are looking for a highly qualified lawyer to provide support on legal matters pertaining to all aspects of the Company’s Canadian business, with a specific focus on privacy, compliance management, and data security matters.
Reporting to the Vice President, Legal & Privacy Officer for H&R Block Canada, the Corporate Counsel - Privacy & Compliance will help support our business and provide expert guidance and legal opinions on a broad array of operational and employment practices, and to support compliance with legal requirements. The position will advise and act as an advocate for the organization and will provide legal representation for the Company as required. This role will play an integral role in developing and enhancing the Company’s overall compliance program.
The successful candidate will take a proactive and hands-on approach to all activities relating to the ongoing development, implementation, adaptation, maintenance, and adherence to H&R Block’s privacy and CASL policies and procedures. The position will focus on cutting-edge technology-oriented privacy and data security matters as well as physical protocols and protections all in an effort to mitigate risk for the Company.
Location: Calgary-based is preferred (currently a remote work arrangement); however, candidates based in Ontario (who are licensed to practice in both Alberta and Ontario) will be considered.
Key areas of Responsibility:
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of privacy laws across Canada in order to develop and adapt corporate policies, procedures, and effective training to ensure compliance with PIPEDA and other applicable federal and provincial legislation;
- Administer internal and external systems for privacy inquiries, access, and complaints, including response, investigation, reporting, and resolution;
- Work with colleagues and business leaders to integrate privacy and compliance principles into the Company’s operational processes and assess company operations to determine compliance risk;
- Develop and conduct privacy risk assessments and audits, and provide cogent reporting as directed;
- Advise on CASL compliance requirements including a focus on the creation of policies and procedures;
- Work with business partners to continue to foster a culture of compliance;
- Work with the Information Security team to safeguard the Company’s data;
- Give accurate and timely counsel to management and executives in a variety of other legal areas;
- Maintain current knowledge of changes in applicable legislation;
- Draft and/or review legal and corporate documents, corporate communications, advertising, marketing materials, and other applicable legal and non-legal documents;
- Conduct legal research and prepare reports and presentations as requested;
- Work with the human resources department to advise on employment-related matters;
- Provide counsel on negotiations and contracts; and
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Law degree (J.D. or LL.B.) and a practicing member in good standing with a Canadian Law Society;
- At least 5-7 years of practice in a business environment (top-tier law firm plus in-house experience);
- Strong substantive background in privacy, data security, and internet law and practice with hands-on experience dealing with privacy incidents and protecting client information;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of commercial contract law, and exposure to one or more of the following substantive legal areas: employment, advertising, litigation, franchise, IP;
- Familiarity with IT and data management systems, and emerging digital technologies;
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) preferred;
- Leadership experience in the financial services sector considered an asset;
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information;
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity;
- Solid time management skills and ability to deal with multiple complex matters across multiple business functions;
- Demonstrated ability to create both proactive and defensive legal strategies;
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills to interact with colleagues and external agencies;
- Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is critical;
- Bilingualism (French) while not required is considered a definite asset.
Do you have a passion to make a real difference, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to email@example.com
We encourage all interested individuals to apply. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Proof of legal authorization to work in Canada will be required as part of the recruitment process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process