Corporate Counsel – Privacy & Compliance
Position: Corporate Counsel – Privacy & Compliance
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Are you ready to make a difference?
At H&R Block, we believe in our people. The work they achieve individually, as a team, and as an organization empowers our clients to take hold of their financial future – driving our success as Canada’s lead Tax Preparation business.
Becoming an H&R Block associate means more than just a pay cheque; it’s an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the Tax Preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to help us look at peoples’ lives through tax and find ways to help. We know the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent, if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
We have proudly served clients in Canada for over 50 years, constantly evolving to meet our clients’ ever-changing needs. From our digital solutions to our offices, we constantly seek new ways to create frictionless and memorable client experiences.
Reporting to the VP, Legal & Privacy Officer for H&R Block Canada, the Corporate Counsel – Privacy & Compliance is a member of the Company’s Senior Leadership Team and will help support our business and minimize legal and reputational risk by providing expert guidance and opinions on a broad array of operational and employment practices, to ensure compliance with legal requirements. The position will advise and act as an advocate for the organization and will provide legal representation for the Company as required. This role will play an integral role in developing and enhancing the Company’s overall compliance program.
The successful candidate will take a roll-up-your-sleeves approach to all activities relating to the ongoing development, implementation, adaptation, maintenance and adherence to H&R Block’s privacy and CASL policies and procedures. The position will focus on cutting-edge technology-oriented privacy and data security concerns as well as physical protocols and protections all in an effort to mitigate risk for the Company.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Develop and adapt corporate policies and procedures, and collaborate to deliver effective training to ensure compliance with PIPEDA and other applicable federal and provincial legislation;
• Administer internal and external systems for privacy inquiries, access and complaints, including response, investigation, reporting and resolution;
• Work with colleagues and business leaders to integrate privacy and compliance principles into the Company’s operational processes and assess company operations to determine compliance risk;
• Develop and conduct privacy risk assessments and audits; and provide cogent reporting as directed;
• Advise on CASL compliance requirements including a focus on the creation of policies and procedures;
• Work with business partners to continue to foster a culture of compliance;
• Work with the Information Security team to safeguard the Company’s data;
• Give accurate and timely counsel to management and executives in a variety of other legal areas;
• Maintain current knowledge of changes in applicable legislation;
• Draft and/or review legal and corporate documents, corporate communications, advertising, marketing materials and other applicable legal and non-legal documents;
• Conduct legal research and prepare reports and presentations as requested;
• Work with the human resources department to advise on employment related matters;
• Provide counsel on negotiations and contracts; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Law degree (J.D. or LL.B.) and membership or eligibility for membership in the Law Society of Alberta;
• At least 5-7 years of practice in a business environment (top-tier law firm plus in-house experience);
• Strong substantive background in privacy, data security and internet law and practice with hands-on experience dealing with privacy incidents and protecting client information;
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of commercial contract law, and exposure to one or more of the following substantive legal areas: employment, advertising, litigation, franchise, IP;
• Familiarity with IT and data managements systems, and emerging digital technologies;
• Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) preferred;
• Leadership experience in the financial services sector considered an asset;
• Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information;
• High degree of professional ethics and integrity;
• Solid time management skills and ability to deal with multiple complex matters across multiple business functions;
• Demonstrated ability to create both proactive and defensive legal strategies;
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills to interact with colleagues and external agencies;
• Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is critical;
• Bilingualism (French) while not required is considered an asset.
Ranked as one of the Top 20 companies for work-life balance by Indeed.com, it’s more of a reason to build a career and life with H&R Block. Apply now by sending us your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org. Join us and be part of something bigger!
All current vacancies are posted on our website: https://www.hrblock.ca/our-company/careers/,please check for exciting opportunities.
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. H&R Block Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people from all backgrounds, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.