Technical Lead (20 Months)
Calgary, AB (Remote)
Technical Lead (20 months)
For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts use the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental, and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
Reporting to the Software Development Manager, the Technical Lead will be part of a collaborative, agile team responsible for the end-to-end design, development, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing applications.
You will drive software architecture design decisions in our Digital Solutions group and contribute to data design decisions across multiple development teams and business units. Your contributions in this role will pave the path forward and shape the future of H&R Block.
- Delivery of rich, high-quality software being mindful of performance, reliability, scalability, and security.
- Lead the application of design patterns within the Microservices team.
- Establish, promote, review, and refine coding standards within the team.
- Collaborate with user-experience designers, technical writers, business domain experts, database administrators and quality assurance to build new products and features which will help take our business to the next level.
- Translate complex technical concepts into non-technical language for consumption by Product Owners and business stakeholders.
- Support and mentor fellow development team members.
- Ensure timely completion of deliverables and contribute to work effort estimates.
- Lead technical decision making. Provide technical expertise and guidance to team members, help them make informed decisions, solve complex problems, and ensure the software meets quality and performance standards.
- Design and document solution architecture in collaboration with other technical leads and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with DevOps/SRE (Site Reliability Engineering).
- Advocate for and lead the resolution of outstanding technical debt.
- Collaborate with Offshore team to design solutions, drive tech stack decisions and improve execution.
- Research about new disruptive technologies like Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and how they would be applicable to our business model. Keeping up to date with emerging technologies and evaluating their potential for use in the project to improve efficiency and functionality.
- Monitor and optimize the software's performance and scalability to meet the growing demands of users.
- Ensure tis software quality assurance practices such as unit testing, integration testing, and automated testing are followed. Monitor and improve code coverage and test effectiveness.
- Adept at ensuring a balanced workload and effective task distribution.
- Postsecondary education in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years professional experience as a software developer required.
- 5 years’ experience with JAVA based technologies required.
- Mastery of object-oriented development principles, design patterns, methodologies, and architectures.
- Must have experience with either Azure or AWS cloud-based development.
- Mastery of HTML, jQuery, CSS/SCSS and related technologies.
- Proficient in Java, Spring/Sprint Boot, Hibernate and building tools like Maven and Gradle.
- Three years’ experience with front-end frameworks such as React, or Angular JS is preferred.
- Experience with Docker/Containerization, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm is an asset.
- Knowledge of .NET based technologies is considered an asset.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and agile team environment.
- Passionate about software development.
- Strong advocate for DevOps- and Agile-based software development.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Azure services and solutions.
- Experience with Azure DevOps for CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment).
- Proficiency in configuring, deploying, and managing applications on Azure.
- Understanding of Azure's security, compliance, and governance features.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to adapt to evolving technologies and project requirements.
Do you have a passion for leadership and development, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the position title in the subject line.
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.