Manager, Software Development
Calgary or Remote
Manager, Software Development (Client Service Platform)
For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts uses the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental, and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
At H&R Block we are changing the face of tax preparation software. Reporting to (VP of IT), the Software Development Manager will be responsible for
Key areas of Responsibility:
- Manage, coach, motivate and mentor a team of Software Developers and QA, providing technology leadership to foster team level collaboration, productivity, and efficiency;
- Drive technical delivery of projects based on product development priorities;
- Collaborate with Scrum Masters, Project Managers, Product Owners, and peer technical managers to deliver enterprise-grade software and software-enabled services;
- Plan, delegate, and track task assignments to team members, providing status to stakeholders;
- Work with Scrum Masters to plan, track, and report on team resource capacity and utilization;
- Collaborate with and train developers on best practices, including unit testing, continuous integration practices code reviews, internal tool usage, technical roadblock mitigation, and process improvements;
- Help define and ensure adherence to coding standards and approved technologies;
- Provide technical assessment of the impact of any changes to product requirements;
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the organization’s development procedures;
- Provides support to customer service agents to triage and resolve client-related issues.
- Assist in the creation and delivery of solution architecture artifacts;
- Post-Secondary education in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Programming, and/ or a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, and professional experience;
- Working knowledge of SQL databases;
- Ability to understand existing patterns and standards quickly to ensure adherence;
- Demonstrated decision making, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Extensive Agile experience with a SCRUM focus;
- Able to work independently in a team environment with minimum supervision;
- Experience in leading development initiatives and or architecture initiatives;
- Exceptional verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills;
Do you have a passion for programming and data, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all interested individuals to apply. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Proof of legal authorization to work in Canada will be required as part of the recruitment process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.