Calgary, AB (Hybrid)
For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts use the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate it is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
Reporting to the Director, Software Development, the DevOps Manager will achieve our shift-left through a combination of people- and technology-leadership. The successful candidate will lead a co-located team (Canada/India) who are architecting and developing cloud-native solutions in Microsoft Azure. The DevOps team acts as technology enabler for 120 people across 8 squads in Software Development at H&R Block; we are passionate about DevOps, and the successful candidate will have an incredible opportunity to make a difference and lead technology and organizational change.
Key areas of Responsibility:
- Act as people-leader to a team of five reports.
- Lead a cultural shift-left and shift-right, champion DevOps with development teams.
- Continuous value stream evaluation and implementation of iterative improvements.
- Grow the DevOps team as a center of excellence.
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture team to ensure architectural outcomes are achieved.
- Partner with product teams in value stream management for all public products.
- Partner with Products & Services team to build support for DevOps across the organization.
- Ensure high uptime to our business-critical infrastructure.
- Define and measure SLI/SLOs.
- Decrease the toil to engineering ratio.
- Define, socialize and improve a KPI-based approach to change.
- Be a primary source of DevOps thought leadership within the organization.
- Lead agile practices within the DevOps team: stand up, planning, retrospective meetings.
- Act as owner of the DevOps roadmap - planning and communicating with stakeholders.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Background as a developer, DevOps engineer or similar technical role.
- At least 5 years’ experience with Microsoft Azure required, including serverless components and databases.
- Hands-on experience working with Kubernetes and containerization.
- Expert level knowledge of build/release tools like Azure DevOps, Terraform, Helm, ARM/Bicep or equivalent.
- Previous experience as a people-leader in an agile environment preferred.
- Previous knowledge of code repository patterns and best practices with Git.
- Strong understanding of cloud and container security, DevSecOps, OWASP top 10.
- Strong understanding of blue/green, canary, and rolling deployments.
- Strong understanding of dark launching and feature toggling techniques.
- Ai/MLOps, DataOps experience preferred.
- GitOps practices with Flux/ArgoCD preferred.
- Wants to lead by example, get hands on when necessary.
- Desire/motivation to grow in leadership.
- Strong communicator and expert stakeholder manager.
Do you have a passion for engineering optimization, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including Manager, DevOps in the subject line.
We encourage all interested individuals to apply. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Proof of legal authorization to work in Canada will be required as part of the recruitment process. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.