H&R Block Canada: Offering tax filing services for expatriates and US citizens.

Are you a U.S. citizen?

We know cross-border taxes too.

Need help with U.S. returns? Our Tax Experts know the laws on both sides of the border. Here’s how we can help you file both your U.S. and Canadian taxes.

What’s included in our U.S. tax services?

  • Preparation of U.S. federal and state income tax returns for you and your family.
  • U.S. tax calculations.
  • U.S. and Canada treaty benefits.
  • Coordination of U.S. and Canadian deductions and credits.
  • Assistance with correspondence from the Internal Revenue Service.

Need help with your U.S. taxes? Get started now.

Find out if you need to file a U.S. return.

Good news! You may not have to pay taxes in both countries – we’ll show you how.

Earned income exclusion.

Form 2555 is a special form excluding foreign earned income from taxation in the U.S.

Foreign tax credit or deductions.

Claim a foreign tax credit on your U.S. return for taxes you paid to Canada.

U.S. citizens and green card holders must file a 1040 form every year if they meet income threshold requirements. You may also be subject to additional U.S. tax reporting if you own or are a beneficiary of Canadian mutual funds, TFSAs, RESPs, RRSPs or RPPs.

Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR).

If you are a U.S. citizen with a financial interest in foreign accounts exceeding $10,000, you must report it by e-filing the FinCEN114. Failure to report could result in a penalty of up to $10,000. The CRA and IRS communicate often on these matters, so talk to one of our Tax Experts today to protect your assets.

Filing deadline.

If you live outside the U.S., you have an automatic extension of two months to file your U.S. tax return, making June 15 your deadline. For your Canadian return, you still need to file by May 1.

Search here to find your nearest H&R Block office that offers cross-border filing services

U.S./Canada filing FAQs:

Who qualifies as a U.S. citizen?

U.S. citizenship can only be acquired in two ways: at birth or through naturalization.

What if I’m a Canadian citizen living in the U.S.?

If you’re a Canadian living in the U.S. but not a U.S. citizen, we can help you file your 8840 Closer Connection Exception Statement to demonstrate your ties are closer to Canada than to the U.S.

How do I file my first return as a U.S. citizen?

H&R Block has a variety of U.S. filing options to help you comply with all U.S. tax laws, even if this is your first time filing.

What if this is my first time filing but I have multiple years to account for?

We offer a range of options for those who wish to file for previous years, including the Streamlined Program and the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure.

What if I used to be a U.S. citizen but have renounced my citizenship?

Our Tax Experts will help you prepare your final expatriate return to meet all U.S. Tax Code rules and regulations.

If I’m a U.S. citizen with Canadian mutual funds, how do I include them on my return?

You may have more filing requirements than a simple tax return. Speak to a Tax Expert to help you file your Form 8621 to report any gains inside your mutual funds. Please also note this is different than Canadian tax return reporting requirements.

If I’m a U.S. citizen with a Canadian TFSA, how do I include it on my return?

Any income collected is taxable in the U.S. Speak to one of our Tax Experts for help filing Form(s) 8621, 3520-A and/or 3520.

If I’m a U.S. citizen with a Canadian RESP, how do I include it on my return?

Funds in an RESP are considered to be held in trust for a child. To include them on your return, you must complete Form(s) 3520-A and/or 3520. And as RESPs usually contain mutual funds, you may need to complete Form 8621. It’s also important to report any gains on these accounts on your U.S. tax return.