Software Developer – Java
For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts use the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental, and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
Reporting to the Software Development Manager, the Software Developer will be part of a collaborative, agile team responsible for the end-to-end design, development, implementation, and maintenance of a wide range of new and existing applications.
You will work directly with product managers, user experience (UX) designers, and subject matter experts to build world-class, amazing, delightful web applications, and powerful, flexible platforms. Your contributions in this role will pave the path forward and shape the future for the Digital development group and the company.
Key areas of Responsibility:
• Build enterprise-scale applications while being mindful of performance, reliability, and scalability
• Apply your understanding of software development methodologies, processes, and practices
• Collaborate with the team to analyze and solve technical challenges
• Apply your knowledge of the use of best practices and design patterns within the team
• Seek to understand business stakeholders’ vision and, in turn, delight stakeholders and customers with the delivery of feature-rich, high-quality software
• Collaborate with user-experience experts, technical writers, business domain experts, database administrators, and quality assurance experts to build new products and features which will help take our business to the next level
• Clearly communicate the progress of assignments to peers and leadership with efficiency and accuracy and drive to ensure timely completion of deliverables
• Post-secondary education in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Programming, and/or a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, and professional experience
• 5+ years progressive experience as a full-stack java developer designing and building secure, scalable consumer-facing web applications and web services
• Proficiency in java and in web development technologies including Spring Boot, Hibernate as well as single-page client application frameworks (ex. AngularJS, Angular or React)
• Skilled in SQL concepts and syntax and ideally experience with PostgreSQL
• Experience working with version control systems, preferably GIT
• Working knowledge of Agile software development process methodologies with a SCRUM focus
Do you have a passion for leadership and development, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.