Senior Tax Programmer
Senior Tax Programmer
For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts use the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate it is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
If you are a CPA or someone with tax experience who wants to use your skills in a completely different way, this job is for you. You will join the team that creates the tax software used nationally to file over 2 million tax returns.
Reporting to the Manager, Tax Regulatory Compliance, as a Senior Tax Programmer, you will join the product development team to help create quality tax software through researching and implementing tax legislation changes, creating quality customer features, and working with the team to complete government tax software certification requirements. You have hands-on experience with a wide variety of complex tax returns as well as a deep understanding of the Canadian tax system. You leverage your knowledge and experience to optimize results for your clients. Through your creativity and thorough analysis, you are instrumental in defining multiple facets of tax preparation software, including (but not limited to) guiding users through complex scenarios and ensuring the accuracy of their results. You love technology and are excited about designing software solutions that impact millions of Canadian taxpayers. You have the technical skills to work closely with software developers, user experience designers, technical writers, and test analyst on the details, without losing sight of the big picture.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Act as Canadian Tax subject matter expert for Product Managers, Business Analysts, Developers, Content Writers, and User Experience Specialists.
- Attend meetings as requested, providing key information to stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of Canadian Tax Law and Quebec Tax Law and ability to research complex tax preparation, compliance, and technical issues and interpret regulations and research in a way that non-technical people can understand.
- Transform tax calculations into programming code (Calculations, XML, PDF, Validations).
- Apply income tax knowledge to develop, maintain, run unit and integration tests to cover all tax scenarios and ensure accuracy in digital tax products.
- Build electronic tax files, design tax form templates, validate that tax software is compliant with the Income Tax Act for CRA and RQ.
- Resolve software defects, and work with software developers and tax compliance analyst to resolve known issues.
- Review and guide Product teams on software features to ensure tax quality standards are maintained.
- Manage government certification processes with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenu Québec (RQ).
- Proactively plan and co-ordinate upcoming work and projects within team and outside teams.
- Proficiency in technical writing: Document and update processes and procedures.
- Mentor junior team members and lead projects and initiatives.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Post-Secondary education in Accounting, Finance, Tax, or Business Technology.
- 5+ years of experience in the financial service industry.
- 3 or more years’ experience with tax compliance, regulatory, and certification processes preferred.
- Experience working on financial software integrations.
- The ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to read/write French is a strong asset.
- Ability to learn software programming (Java) (while this is not a pre-requisite and Java programming classes will be offered as part of the training, coding will be a critical part of this role).
- Completion of the CPA In-Depth Tax Course or similar education program is a strong asset.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Office Suite skills.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Technology orientated and are comfortable at the prospect of learning some programming (Java).
Do you have a passion for finance and programming, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to email@example.com
We encourage all interested individuals to apply. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Proof of legal authorization to work in Canada will be required as part of the recruitment process. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.