Senior Software Developer
Senior Software Developer
For over 55 years, H&R Block has prepared taxes for millions of Canadians annually. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, we serve taxpayers in more than 1,000+ offices, through our upload from home service, and online with our DIY tax software. Our dedicated team of Tax Experts uses the latest in electronic processing and filing technology to prepare all types of returns, including personal, small business, corporate, farm, trucker, fishing, U.S., rental, and estate.
Becoming an H&R Block Associate is an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the tax preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
At H&R Block we are changing the face of tax preparation software. Reporting to the Core Systems Manager, the Senior Software Developer will be responsible for assisting with data as well as the end to end programming, implementation and maintenance, and execution of the application(s) in an efficient and timely manner in accordance with company/department procedures and standards, all within an Agile environment.
Key areas of Responsibility:
• Partner with PMs, BAs, QA, and Database Administrators to collaborate on database design for efficient integration with applications
• Collaborate with business leaders, vendors, and operational teams (internal/external/on and off-site) to ensure project status updates and escalated issues are understood, status updates are clearly communicated, and ensure that suitable resolutions/workarounds are developed
• Design, develop and modify tables and screen changes based upon approved modifications to design.
• Document all procedures and processes used throughout projects and enhancements as well as exercising adherence to coding standards as established by the team
• Help embrace change by complying with industry-standard best practices whenever feasible
• Promote and recommend opportunities for continuous improvement with existing processes and architecture
• Ensure that non-functional requirements such as security, performance, maintainability, scalability, usability, and reliability are being considered when architecting solutions.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• Post-Secondary education in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Programming, and/ or a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, and professional experience
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in web and Client/Server skills in a VS2017-2019 environment with C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, and MVC as the main coding languages
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in source control tools (i.e.: SVN, TFS, Git)
• Working knowledge of SSMS, SSRS, SSIS, and strong skills with TSQL
• A strong understanding of Object-Oriented development principles and methodologies
• Strong knowledge of data structures, system design, and algorithms.
• Strong knowledge of Dynamic SQL
• An appreciation of ITIL/COBIT along with a working knowledge of Agile with a SCRUM focus
• Proficiency with Windows operating systems, networking concepts, and Office Suite
• Ability to understand existing patterns and standards quickly to ensure adherence
• Able to work independently in a team environment with minimum supervision
• Experience in leading development initiatives and or architecture initiatives
• Exceptional verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
• Demonstrated decision making, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
• Experience in with cloud service (Microsoft Azure) a plus
Do you have a passion for programming and data, along with the skills and qualifications required for this GREAT opportunity?
If so, we invite you to send your resume to email@example.com
H&R Block fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.